frequently asked questions
Before sending us an e-mail with your question, please check the list of FAQs below. We are regularly asked the same questions, so there's a good chance that the information you require is shown here!
Please scroll down the page for answers to the FAQs.
Our cottage is located on the Tullich Estate, approximately 1.3 miles east of Lochcarron village.
- The cottage is situated on a private drive well away from the main public road and has a very quiet, rural location.
- There are excellent views across open croft land towards Loch Carron in the middle distance.
- See Google Map for more information.
The cottage has 3 bedrooms and will sleep 4/5 people.
- There is a double bedroom, a twin bedroom and a small single bedroom. The single has a fill-size single bed.
- The twin bedroom can be made up as a double. If you require this, please request it at the time of placing your booking.
Yes, a travel cot and high chair are both available.
- You should please request these at the time of booking if required.
- We do not provide bedding for the travel cot, so you should please bring your own with you.
The cottage has electric heaters throughout.
- There is also a wood-burning stove in the sitting room. This is sufficient to heat the whole cottage.
- The property is fully double-glazed and insulated.
- Yes, well behaved dogs are welcome by prior arrangement.
- Maximum 2 dogs.
- We do not make any additional charge for dogs.
- Dogs are allowed on the strict understanding that they must be kept under reasonable and appropriate control at all times and not allowed to cause any dirt or damage.
- Dogs must not be left on their own in the property, nor must they be allowed upstairs.
Yes, there is ample parking for 2 vehicles at the front of the cottage.
- There is a short path leading from the parking space to the front door of the cottage.
- Yes, Gardener's Cottage has its own dedicated Wi-Fi Internet connection.
- Although not as fast as the connections available in large towns and cities, nevertheless local broadband is more than adequate for accessing the Internet, sending and receiving e-mails, etc.
- The Wi-Fi is provided in the cottage on the strict understanding that the connection must be used responsibly at all times and must not under any circumstances be used for uploading or downloading inappropriate material of any kind whatsoever.
There is a large fridge in the kitchen of the cottage.
- There is a separate built-in freezer, also in the kitchen. This is of similar size to an under-counter fridge.
Yes, there is a dishwasher in the kitchen.
There is an automatic washing machine in the utility room immediately adjacent to the rear of the kitchen.
- There is no tumble dryer but there are hanging rails for drying clothes in the utility room.
Yes! There is no need to bring your own hairdryer.
- The hairdryer is usually kept in the main bedroom - but may get moved around by other guests!
- The prices we charge for the rental of the property include the cost of heating, electricity, bed linen, towels, and the wi-fi Internet connection.
- More information .....
Yes, bed linen and towels are provided so you do not need to bring them with you.
- The cost of bed linen and towels is included in our prices.
No, we normally take all bookings on a weekly basis from Saturday to Saturday.
- We have to work to a standard system of bookings, otherwise we run the risk of compromising other bookings and having the property standing empty when otherwise we might have obtained a booking.
- During out-of-season periods such as January, February, November and December we can sometimes consider short breaks but subject to a minimum booking of 3 or 4 nights.
No, our cottage is for self-catering holidays only.
- There are several B & Bs in Lochcarron as well as guest houses and a hotel, all of which offer bed and breakfast on a nightly basis.
- Contact us to check availability.
- If your dates are available we will reserve them for you and send you our Booking Form.
- Complete the Booking Form and return it to us with your payment.
- Upon receipt we will send you a written confirmation of your booking together with some directions to the property.
- Our preferred method of payment is by cheque - or possibly by crossed postal order (available from a Post Office).
- Alternatively, if this is not possible, we can also accept payments via online banking (International Bank Transfer if from outside the UK).
- If you wish to send an online payment, please advise when you place your booking so that we can provide you with the necessary bank account details. For security reasons, we do not publicise these on our website.
- Please note: irrespective of the method of payment, we always require a completed and signed Booking Form in order to process and confirm a booking.
- No, we're sorry but, as just a small business, we do not have facilities to be able to take card payments.
- This is because of the high charges for operating a merchant account.
- If we were to accept card payments, we would be forced to increase our prices to offset these charges.
- We believe you would probably prefer our prices to remain as they are!
- All are located within Lochcarron village which is about 1.3 miles away.
- The local pub, the Lochcarron Hotel, is near to the east end of Lochcarron village and is about 25 - 30 minutes' walk away.
- The nearest shop, at the Lochcarron Garage, is almost next door to the hotel and therefore a similar distance from Gardener's Cottage.
- The main centre of the village where the Spar Shop and the Lochcarron Bistro are located is about 1.5 miles.
Yes, the local Spar Shop (the Lochcarron Food Centre) will deliver your order in time for your arrival.
- Orders can be made by completing their order form which can be sent in either by post or fax (but not by e-mail).
- The Spar Shop is licensed to sell beer, wine and spirits.
- For more information and to download a copy of the order form, please see the Spar Shop website.
- N.B. Please send your order form direct to the Spar Shop using the address details on the order form. Please do not send the form to Gardener's Cottage!
Yes, the Lochcarron Hotel (about 25 - 30 minutes' walk away) has a lounge bar and restaurant and serves both bar meals and restaurant meals.
- The hotel serves traditional real ale on hand pump, with usually a choice of 3 ales including two from the local Strathcarron Brewery.
- The hotel also has a wide choice of single malt whiskys, usually around 50 or 60.
- Other eateries include the Lochcarron Bistro (in the centre of the village) and the Waterside Café.
- Further afield and requiring transport, there are the Carron Restaurant, the extremely popular Kishorn Seafood Bar, the Bealach Café (at the beginning of the road to Applecross), the Applecross Inn and the Potting Shed Restaurant (in the Walled Garden of Applecross House).
- For more information from the websites of some of the above, please see our Links' section.
The shore line of Loch Carron is about 10 - 15 minutes' walk away - about half a mile.
- The Main Street of Lochcarron runs parallel to and immediately adjacent to the shore of the loch for a distance of well over 1 mile.
- Loch Carron is a tidal sea loch so the water level depends upon the state of the tide.